ESSAY COMPETITION


We had invited for essays on the topic of ‘One Saturday morning I was walking in the park…’ We have got few entries. We are publishing them in edited and abridged version to encourage more and more young writers. We want this column to be more and more competitive. Hope, from next time we’ll get heap of entries. This column is meant for young bubbling minds. Participants from next time please mention the title of the essay and give us the details of you.


Beautiful days


One Saturday morning I was walking in the park. The sky was clear, the sun emanate in between the hills, the bird was flying n the sky, it was an embellish morning and the park was fascinated by the beautiful sights of nature.

I was in Mumbai spending my holidays. I was having fresh air, suddenly I saw a big crowd and I was surprise to see that the shooting of a film was going. The film was directed by david dhawan’s there was a splendid scene of the movie which was going to be shooted in that park. I was shocked to see my favorite film stars. The film stars were Preity Zinta, Isha Sherwani, John Abraham, Shahrukh khan & Siddharth Singhania. The name of the movie was Beautiful days. The film stars were giving Autography to their fans. So, I rushed quickly to take the autograph of my favourites co-stars. The film stars were ready to take their shots. As I came nearer the director called me and I acted clumsy when he offered me a small role in his movie. Due to excitement of acting with my favourite film stars, I did my role wrong.

The director as not happy with my performance so, he chose another person from the crowd for that role and she did a great job and everybody appreciated her for her performance and there I was standing far from the crowd, tears in my eyes and with sad face I went home back. So, this was best day as well as worse day of my life.


Samreen Fatima
VIIIth A
International School



World Of Bads


One Saturday morning I was walking in the park. It is my daily routine to go for a morning walk. It was nearly midst of January a damp – cold morning. It was a holiday in my school. So, I hardly took note of time. It was already 8:15 am. The sun was peeping from northeast. The park was full of young and olds. I was already tried of walking so lately. I decided to rest on a wooden bench.

I was busy having glimpse of extraordinary activities like touching nose with toes, jumping on knees like frog. While looking here and there my eyes stuck to northwest corner of the park. I saw another side of coin of the park. For few seconds I looked on those rich fellows and him alternatively. There was high contrast I marched towards him. He was a teenager of nearly 15-16 years of age. He was shivering due to cold as; he was wearing only a torn half trouser and dirty vest. I asked the reason for lying there. He told me that he was servant of a proud and rich businessman. He was treated badly. The night before he was thrown out of his master’s house just because he dared to touch masters’ son’s book. Since then he was lying there at night he slept under a tree. A gentleman gave him a shawl, which was carried away by another gentleman. I offered him some biscuits, which he snatched from my hand as if I was going to take it back. I asked him to come with me. He looked at my face with suspicion. I repeated, he denied saying that I will beat him for silly mistakes and not give him proper food. I urged him a lot but all in vain. I spent few minutes talking to him and while returning, I offered him some money, which he accepted. I looked at myself and thought that he was in more need than me of a jacket that I was wearing. I took it off and asked him to wear that. He was very happy. I returned back.

The whole night, I was thinking about him. He was born same as me; god is there for both of us. But why I was here and he was there? It was fate or inhumanity? Next morning while reading newspaper, I saw a news whose title read, “ A teen died in city park”.


Shahbaz Haidar
Xth
International School

No comments:

April 2008

April  2008
Samar - a bimonthly and bilingual magazine