The Truth behind Doctors


Here I’ am going to share some of my experiences about doctors - the one who save our lives. Sometime I think they are lifebuoys and some time I think they are only money makers and opportunist. Well! There may be different opinions of different people about doctors.

All of us have gone through experiences of pains and agonies and all of us have visited doctors at least for once. Yours truly, too have some experiences of visiting doctors. In my life there are many occasions which have revealed darker side of doctors to me. I narrate them one by one.

Once when I was a child, I was playing on a fine soothing evening in Sharif colony of Patna. While enjoying the game of hide and seek with my friends I saw a lady crying bitterly. I asked her the reason. She told me that her husband had been thrown out of the hospital because she had no money to pay the prescribed fees of the doctors. The patient needed an urgent operation. I asked my parents and neighbours to help. They helped but the amount wasn’t enough. The doctors and the hospital didn’t show any mercy. Due to lack of proper medical attention he died. The lady (his wife) committed suicide. She jumped from the top of the same hospital. On questioning the doctor, he said “I can’t go on helping every person, if I do that soon I’ll be one of them who beg for medical attention”. He walked away.

Another incident I remember is of a famous dental hospital of Patna. This is a place where people are supposed to be treated free of cost. I had to visit it once. After waiting for four hours, my sister and me were attended finally. But there was an old man with his young son, I was told, that he was waiting since morning. They were poor villagers and even didn’t know to speak proper Hindi. The boy had some severe problem. He was crying bitterly but no body cared to attend them. Once or twice, when the father dared to go towards the cabin of dentist, they treated him as if he were a dog. We were done in few minutes and had to leave but I still don’t know if he was ever attended.

Third instance related to a famous orthopaedic hospital. This is one of the best hospitals in Bihar. I was admitted in this hospital for the treatment of my old disease. It was indeed very costly affair. But as phrase goes - No money No care…… I saw patients lying outside the hospital in the rainy season. They weren’t even allowed to take drinking water from the hospital. I remembered, one day when we, by mistake ordered an extra plate of lunch. My mother called one Akka (one who cleans floors etc.) to take it but suddenly a nurse came. She scolded Akka and told us that we couldn’t give food to them. Akka ran away and the food was ultimately thrown to dust bin.
These are few incidents where good doctors never cared for the poor but there is another is set of doctors – they are the ones who obtain fake degrees and then due to these quakes both rich and poor suffer for no fault of their own. The status of patients is not a qualification in sufferings. Not only that there is a nexus created by doctors and medical care homes, they will ask you to run from one place to another for innumerous kind of tests ad treatment. Even if you have a very simple disease like nausea you will get affected to big disease which has big and horrifying names. Since you know nothing about medical science you will bent on your knees and beg to the doctors; please cure me. This is the big drama they are playing to make money.

Yes, people suffer….they do…. I can say that because I am one of the victims. I met an accident at the age of six, in which I got multiple fractures and I fell in the trap of a quake and things went horribly wrong. But I thank Allah…because it was my hand. Had it been my leg…; then the story would have been different.
I call on doctors and I pray them to remember their Hippocratic Oath; to listen their calls for duty because duty to suffering is work of god.

An admirer of Samar

No comments:

April 2008

April  2008
Samar - a bimonthly and bilingual magazine